The bow tie is a type of necktie that is worn by men, and sometimes women, in which the fabric forms a loop around the neck. Unlike traditional ties, bow ties are not tied using a knot; instead, they are held in place by a clip or pin.
The bow tie’s popularity has fluctuated over the years, but it has remained a staple in men’s fashion. While some men view the bow tie as a necessary evil, others see it as a stylish accessory that can add a touch of personality to their outfit.
Regardless of your opinion on bow ties, there’s no denying that they are unique. So, how to wear a bow tie in a stylish way? Let’s take a look.
Wearing a Bow Tie: Styles, Sizes and Shapes
A bow tie is a classic men’s accessory that can add a touch of class to any outfit. But with so many styles, sizes and shapes available, it can be difficult to know how to wear a bow tie.
Men’s Bow Ties Sizes
Bow ties come in various sizes to fit different neck sizes and typically range from 14 to 20 inches (35.6 to 50.8 cm).
If you are unsure what size bow tie to buy, it is always better to err on the side of caution and buy a too big size rather than too small. You can always adjust a too-big bow tie by making it tighter, but you cannot make a too-small bow tie larger.
When in doubt, go with a classic size 14 bow tie. This size will fit most people and is the most versatile. If you are buying a bow tie as a gift, size 14 is always a safe bet.
Men’s Bow Tie Shapes and Styles
There are many different bow tie shapes, and each one has its unique look. Some of the most popular bow tie shapes include:
- Classic straight-edge shape – this is the most traditional bow tie shape, and it works well with both formal and casual attire.
- Butterfly shape – is slightly wider than the classic straight-edge shape, and it has a more dramatic look.
- Bat wing shape – is even wider than the butterfly shape, and it has a unique look.
- Diamond point shape – is narrower than the classic straight-edge shape, and it has a more sophisticated look.
- Teardrop shape – is narrower than the diamond point shape, and it has an exquisite look.
Check out or collection of Bow Ties!
How to Choose the Fabric of a Bow Tie
For a casual look, choose a linen or cotton bow tie. Silk knit bow ties are also less formal, meaning they can be easily integrated into a casual look.
For high-profile formal occasions, silk or wool models are a perfect choice. Wool warms up the look, and linen brings authenticity, thanks to its irregular appearance.
How to Tie a Bow Tie: Tips and Steps
There are many different ways to tie a bow tie, but the most important thing is to make sure that the bow tie is tied evenly and symmetrically. Here are a few tips on how to tie a bow tie:
- Make sure the bow tie is positioned correctly before starting to tie it. The narrow end of the bow tie should be placed on the right side, and the wide end should be on the left side.
- Cross the wide end of the bow tie over the narrow end, and then tuck it underneath.
- Bring the wide end up and over the narrow end again.
- Pull the wide end through the loop that has been created.
- Tighten the bow tie by holding on to the narrow end and pulling on the wide end.
- Adjust the bow tie until it is symmetrical and even.
When to Wear a Bow Tie
A gala, a cocktail party, a fashion event, a job interview, a meeting: whether it’s a professional or personal occasion, the bow tie is suitable for all major events.
As a groom or guest, the wedding is the ideal occasion to wear a bow tie. Extravagant and original patterns, flashy colors: be creative! Try to match your bow tie to the cufflinks of your suit.
The proposal is another perfect occasion for you to wear a bow tie. You can be sure that it will mark this special moment in your relationship!
The bow tie is ideal for family celebrations and especially New Year. Choose an original model. Get out of the ordinary! Wooden or leather bows are always in fashion. Also, choose festive patterns!